Monday, June 15, 2009

Thing#2 Post:
Thoughts on web2.0 in the 21st Century:
When I went to the technology conference in Austin last February and sat in on a session on web2.0, it took my breath away. The presenter didn't hand out any notes, but was clicking from one thing to the next on a projector screen, and I was so awestruck that I furiously scribbled notes. In an hour and a half he had taken us to over 60 websites that are used interactively in instruction. My hand was nearly numb but I was completely mesmerized. My hope is that enough educators in our district and beyond rise to the call to organize these web-links into learning opportunities for students. Having students produce podcasts, wikis, google docs, and research using bookmarked information has huge learning potential. By providing the computers as tools and by modeling ourselves, how web2.0 can be used to find answers and solve problems with the aid of technological social networking, we just might help create a generation of lifelong learners where the gap between the "haves" and the "have-nots" is almost nonexistent. Exciting times!

7 comments:

Julia Walker said...

That is wonderful that you got to go to a technology conference over Web 2.0. How does what you have learned so far in this class compare with the conference?

Debbie said...

Welcome aboard! We're glad you are in the class!

Team Members said...

"The gap between the haves and have-nots." That gap is getting smaller and smaller with most of our students. Our job is to help the teachers keep up with the kids so that they can balance their technological skills with ethical ones as well.

Patty Tanamachi said...

The conference really opened my eyes to the new web. So I have really looked forward to this class so that I can practice using many of these tools. I think Mary and Company have done a terrific job of choosing 23 internet resources that can be most useful to teachers and students. I believe, too, Golf Probie, that teachers must keep up and improve their technology skills so they are comfortable in enhancing student instruction with it.

BlueJekyll said...

Thank you Patty for your persistence in looking for authentic, purposeful ways for students to use web 2.0 tools.

I'm wondering though what kind of technology gap we still have between students groups at our campuses? Has it narrowed or as we provide resources for one group have the other groups moved on? Has anyone done any research on this in our district?

sassafrass said...

I really enjoy reading your comments. However, since I'm not in the classroom I feel a little out of my element, but we want to be up-to-date here in our office!

Patty Tanamachi said...

It would be difficult to measure the gap without a control group of have-nots who continue to get nothing. Even if the gap doesn't show a trend of decreasing, I would have to assume that the gap is not getting wider. Scores at our high needs campuses (who are given technology)show a higher rate of achievement than our campuses who are not labeled 'high needs' but who aren't being equipped with technology.