Thursday, June 25, 2009

Thing #8 Post:
Discovering Creative Commons is close to finding the Holy Grail for some of us who work with curriculum development, teacher-made lessons, power-point presentations...the list is endless. I actually have a file called "copyright" with letters and emails granting permissions and clarification documents concerning copyright. Hopefully I won't need to refer to that file as much now. Plus I am fairly certain that I have inherited a gene that draws me to anything that is labeled "free." :-) I will be spending a good amount of time exploring creative commons so that I know where to look for diagrams, pictures, music, lessons. More importantly I can steer our teachers who work so diligently putting together meaningful lessons for their students. The majority of my comments concerning a teacher's created lesson is the problem associated with copyright. Our only recourse for so long has been clip art which really isn't enough for our science image needs. I like to find music that isn't blasted constantly on the radio stations, and I happened upon one that I think I'll enjoy.

7 comments:

Julia Walker said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Julia Walker said...

Thanks for sharing the Foxtunes link. I added it to my bookmarks.

When I made my avatar, I didn't see cool things like your UT t-shirt and basketball. Where did you find them?

Unknown said...

Patty...I stumbled upon actual science experiments done my the MIT faculty available for use! Make sure to go to the MIT Open Course Ware for Teachers (http://ocw.mit.edu/OcwWeb/hs/home/teachers/index.htm). I thought of you when I stumbled upon it! --Angela

doubledare said...

Hey, Short'n Sweet! Your entry is sooo true! Where have we been that we did not know about this wonderful place to find useful teaching resources!

maryw said...

Wait until you get to Thing #9 and Flickr Creative Commons! You're gonna love it!!!

Patty Tanamachi said...

Julie, I searched for "basketball" on the search line. It brought up lots of choices. Basketball is my parallel life :-). Thank you Angela for mentioning the mit site. I have heard of it somewhere before but had forgotten about it.

BlueJekyll said...

I checked out the Foxtunes site. Is it just the few songs that show up on the linked page or is there a way to search for an archive or bank of songs?