Thursday, June 25, 2009

Thing #7 Post:
Reading and posting comments on blogs is not entirely new for me. Most of my postings have been on personal blogs made by my own children, nieces and nephews. This class has required that I search for blogs that are more topical and relevant to my work. I have been thrilled to find the number of blogs made for educators. These blogs are a wealth of information and resources! Best of all, most seem to be really current and up-to-date. Being in the science field, however, I have been less successful finding a good fit for my needs. Some blogs have been sooo technical that I can't even follow them. Others are really specific to a scientific area and are very interesting to read about, but I do not have the background to intelligently contribute to the blog. I am still looking for a science content blog that is not focused particularly on education, yet is not too technical. I want to find a blog that I can learn from and make comments with some degree of confidence. I posted to a science education blog that shares ideas for using Interwrite boards. Since I will be working on that this fall with high school teachers, I will be referring to it often. I also posted on a site that is distributing a podcast-based initiative for helping districts achieve more parent involvement. We have a high school in our district who only had one single parent volunteer for PTA during the initial PTA drive! I would like to see the district find a way to help parents feel more comfortable communicating with the schools.

4 comments:

Debbie said...

I bet you'll have a lot to contribute to others after you work with the boards this fall. You should start your own about the experience. (or just use this one)

Patty Tanamachi said...

What a great idea. I'll need to get one for me to play with before school starts! Now where did I put Deryl's number......

bca said...

I am actually very new at every part of blogging. I have never had a blog, kept up with others' blogs, or commented on any blogs. This is definitely going to take some getting used to, but I am liking it so far. I like the feeling of putting my thoughts out in the open on someone else's writing.

With a little help from my friends said...

Patty, it is very thoughtful of you thinking about a way in which technology can help us to provide a different channels to communicate with parents. PTA need more parent involvement, and teachers do too! By the way, what is an Interwrite board? Is it similar to a Promethean Board? :-|