Thursday, June 25, 2009


Thing #9 Post:
Okay. Pictures for free. Fantastic pictures for the taking. By exploring through the groups and tags, you find a picture you never would have thought about! Soon you visualize your students engaged in lessons using these awesome images in a novel structure you could never provide before now. I found pictures of my famous cousin that I had never seen in print before. Sergio Savaman Savarese took a picture of her passport. http://www.flickr.com/photos/savaman/41623156/
So maybe with some other pictures of Janis Joplin the students might recognize, (and kids today still do recognize her amazingly enough), I brag about all the musical talent I must have inherited being related as a third cousin. I will ask students to calculate how much DNA we are likely to share by having a common set of great-grandparents. (The answer is 1/16 or 6.25 percent!) This lesson topic is genetics and pedigrees, specifically about how to predict inheritance using probability. My theme I'll use later will be elements of the food chain and trophic levels. I was able to find some pretty spectacular photos illustrating specific parts of the food chain. Often in our secondary science classes, we rely on the use of graphics and diagrams rather than pictures that show authentic living things. With the advent of testing and preparing students for "what they will see on the test," our lessons have neglected to inject the very component that makes a lesson relevant. Pictures of real life.

1 comment:

Debbie said...

Wow! What a great way to relate science to pictures! Who knew?