Tuesday, June 30, 2009


Thing #11 Post:

The image generators were really fun, and I think I will work with them in my postings and wikis to encourage others to ask about them. I liked the image chef word mosaics, flickr color picker, and the magazine cover maker.



ImageChef Word Mosaic - ImageChef.com

The word mosaic could be easily used during a student project on elements. I used the word helium within the chemical symbol, but for advanced students, like in chemistry, they might be asked to use the chemical symbol and insert a physical property of that element. Prominently displaying this information in the classroom would help students make a repeated visual association, and be more apt to remember properties of certain elements. I was able to post this image straight from the website to the blog.

The magazine cover used here is from a picture of a student at West Mesquite High School who is using a skeleton model and a computer program to learn the body systems, and how they interact to maintain homeostasis. Skeletology is a word I made up, but when students are asked to be creative, making up words that have scientific roots is a learning experience. I used the "add image" button on the blog editing window in order to upload the picture.

I had many ideas come to me about how to use the flickr color pickr. For example, students are expected to understand why a pigment molecule is so important to living things. Since pigment molecules absorb and reflect different wavelengths of light, they appear as a particular color when the light meets our eye. I saw many beautiful pictues of plants showing rhodopsin, a red pigment, chlorophyll/green, carotene/orange, and anthocyanins/blue and purple.

No comments: