Friday, July 03, 2009

Thing #18 Post
I certainly believe YouTube is one of the most visited websites. I had visited casually before, but felt compelled to finally make an account when I made a valentine photostory that I wanted to share with family and friends. But Mac users could not view the photostory. By uploading the photostory to YouTube, the Mac users could watch it, so they must do something to the formatting as it is posted. Every once in a while I have been sent links to YouTube by teachers who want to use a video. With the district screens and filters, I have had extreme difficulty viewing on YouTube from school. The best option is to download the video for use, but that is not always allowed. So until we resolve that issue, our teachers won't be able to make use of the videos on YouTube. It is a shame since so many are really good.
I found a pretty good video that shows teachers how to unpack and use the triple beam balance. This is provided by one of our science vendors, Carolina Biological. Another is a nice lively justification of using cooperative learning. I think a graduate student put this one together. I am pretty sure the third video is a student project, perhaps high school or undergraduate. I like it because it is accurate, musical, and ties some important concepts together without being too overwhelming.

3 comments:

BlueJekyll said...

I think You Tube has a lot of potential. I hope we can figure out how to use it as a district. When researching lawn mowers I was interested in getting a reel mower. I didn't know anyone with one so I went to YT to check out videos of people using them. We got the information we needed to decide that reel mowers are not for us at this time. My nephews from Beijing are in town and they are using tutorials from YT to learn how to use a new software purchase called Final Cut Pro. Since YT is currently blocked in China, they are trying to get everything they need before heading back.

Patty Tanamachi said...

Wow, I forget about things being blocked in China. Is Facebook blocked to the outside world too? I think I remember someone saying something about that. I'm happy your nephews can use Skype though, to talk to their grandpa!

Debbie said...

Don't forget there is also Teacher Tube!