Sunday, July 05, 2009


Visit 23 Thingsters


Thing #23 Post:
I want to thank Mary and Debbie (and all the other facilitators) for arranging this badge of honor to all of us who completed 23 things!
I was very impressed with Classroom 2.0 and the other Ning networks. The video that explains how Ning can be set up is very helpful. We might just be catching a glimpse of the newest social networking craze. I would very much like to develop one that is shared and limited to my family members. I think I will give it a go later this summer. My mother has a 'round robin' of letters that go around the country from family member to family member. I don't think a Ning would replace that round robin, but I would like to post the letters in it and keep the connections between the younger generations.
I found a forum that talked about the use of document cameras in various settings. As soon as my membership gets approved, I have a response to make to a man who asked: " Can't you achieve the same result with a web-cam, and cheaper?" We have a teacher at West Mesquite who did just that- he mounted webcams on bendable arm desk lamps for 1/4 the price of buying Elmos.
I think that these social networks can be easier to use than the list servs I currently subscribe to. The AP Biology list serve is just a serial list of all the comments/posts that you have to sift through. If we had a Ning page, it could be classified by topic, pictures could be added to show lab set-ups etc. I wonder how hard it would be to get around the filters in the district? I have been taking this course at home, so I haven't encountered the issues of being blocked.

1 comment:

Debbie said...

If you get blocked you can always request a page to be open and see what happens?? Who knows?